Minnesota has thousands of certified Private Pesticide Applicators. These applicators generally are farmers or other persons producing an agricultural commodity and using Restricted Use Pesticides (RUP) to control insects, diseases, weeds, or other pests in their production operation.
Qualifications for a Private Pesticide Applicator Certification
To purchase Restricted Use Pesticides (RUPs) you must present your certification card. To be qualified as a Private Pesticide Applicators you must be performing pesticide applications:
- to farmed agricultural commodity land that is owned, rented or managed by you or your family OR
- if you are one of two or fewer employees working that land
- pass application and certification requirements provided by the University of Minnesota Extension
- hold a certification card from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)
How to Obtain Certification
- For training and study material visit the University of Minnesota Extension website for information about the study manual and exams. The study manual is available online for free or a paper copy is available for purchase at county extension offices.
- Apply for certification online. The certification exam itself can be completed electronically online or hard copy paper mail-in exam is available at county extension offices.
- Pay a fee of $75
- Recertify at a Workshop or by re-testing before you renew. Check here for your expiration dates Private Applicator Lookup
- Renew before March 1st of the expiration year to avoid a gap in certification
How to Obtain Fumigation Endorsement
- Obtain Private Pesticide Applicator Certification
- Apply with MDA on using Applicator Certification Application to add a Category (N: Stored Grain Fumigation or O: Soil Fumigation) and pay $5 for a new card
- Exam study material is available from the University of Minnesota Bookstore (Use Category N: Stored Grain and Fumigation Pesticide Manual)
- Schedule an exam at MDA or at a greater Minnesota testing location
- Take and pass a closed book, multiple choice, 50 question exam. Passing scores are 70% or higher.
- Use Private Applicator Lookup to verify your endorsement
- Recertify the endorsement with an by re-testing each time you renew your Certification card