In 2015, the Minnesota Industrial Hemp Development Act (IHDA), Minnesota Statues 18K, became law. This allowed MDA to create an industrial hemp research pilot program in order to study the growth, cultivation, and marketing of industrial hemp. This law directed the commissioner of agriculture to make program rules, determine a fee structure, and perform testing and other regulatory activities.
- Industrial hemp is defined as Cannabis sativa L. that contains no more than 0.3% delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
- Pilot participants are required to provide reports to MDA regarding seed varieties planted, agronomic findings, and any processing, distribution and sales of products. The 2017 Hemp Pilot Program Report is now available.
- MDA obtained a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Schedule 1 Narcotic Research Registration in 2016. All hemp seed for the program is imported under MDA permits.
In 2016, there were 6 pilot participants in Minnesota who grew industrial hemp in MDA's pilot program. It was a historic year, as we saw the harvest of approximately 40 acres of hemp in Minnesota for the first time since the 1950s. In 2017, there were 38 registered pilot participants, who grew 1,205 acres.
The MDA Hemp Pilot Program is an agricultural research program and as such, the pilot participants' names, contact and location information are private and must be protected by the MDA. However, we recognize a desire among our certificate holders to network and make connections among each other and with other members of the industrial hemp industry. Starting in 2018, we are giving certificate holders the option to opt-in to a public list of hemp pilot program participants. Individuals who opt-in will be added to the list once their application is approved and they are fully licensed.
This list will be published on the MDA website sometime during the summer of 2018. The MDA is currently migrating all web content over to a new website management system. In the meantime, contact Margaret Wiatrowski to view a copy of the list of certificate holders.
2018 PILOT PROGRAM INFORMATION
- Hemp Pilot Program Application and Instructions - Now accepting applications for the 2018 season. Application window will remain open--there is no deadline.
- Please check out our FAQ section for the MDA Industrial Hemp Pilot Program.
- 2017 MDA Hemp Pilot Program Report.